Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Does Feminism Need a New Name?

When most people hear the word "feminist", their first response is one of alarm and disinclination.  They think of extremist, bra-burning, man-hating women who are out to destroy anyone who is not on their side.  The common public understanding, as far as the average American's knowledge goes, of the word "feminism" is not nearly what it truly stands for. Perhaps what this movement needs is a new title.

The most accurate definition of feminism is: "An awareness of the differences in society between men and women, and conscious action directed toward creating equality."  One of the most important things to note is that feminism should, in its ideal, incorporate the struggles of both women and men in its mission.  Although "fem" gives the idea that the mission is only about men, in present-day, the movement has incorporated issues relevant to men as well as other minorities.

Feminism needs a new name. It needs a title that rids itself of the history of feminism. It needs a title that more accurately reflects its mission.

Click on this link and take a very short quiz to see if you are a feminist!


2 comments:

  1. Interesting post! I definitely agree that many people who hold beliefs in line with feminist ideals are reluctant to identify as feminists because of the implications of the word. On one hand, this hesitation to identify as feminist is indicative of the ongoing issues the movement works to resolve. The feminist movement shouldn't have to distance themselves from their more radical history. However, solely for the sake of keeping the movement alive into the future, a name change may be in order. After all, the movement isn't a movement anymore without new generations of followers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is a very good point that you make here in this argument. I know for me personally, when I hear the word feminism, it does send fear throughout my body and forces me to be on my best behavior in hopes that I do not say anything sexist to upset the potential feminist in the area. However, through my schooling and through my coming of age as a man, I’ve realized that feminism is fighting for the exact same equality rights that blacks or minorities are striving for. Just like blacks believe that history is skewed because of the fact that it is told from the white mans perspective; however, for women it is told strictly from the mans perspective and pretends that women did not play a crucial role, when in actuality I don’t know a single man who has not been shaped, and molded by their momma. I think that a new name is definitely needed for this movement to gain support and to help it move along faster. On Does Feminism Need a New Name?

    ReplyDelete